- Posted by Eve Vincent
- On March 22, 2019
Asus is a well-known brand in the computing market for producing different appliances ranging from the graphics card to high-end motherboards. But, like other brands, Asus is also not free from technical glitches. Nowadays, users often complain that their Asus keyboard backlight not working while using their system. Sometimes, the backlight becomes unable to change its brightness or colors.
If you are in the same condition, then nothing to worry about. There is a lot of solutions to solve the Asus keyboard not working. Here, in this guideline, we are going to discuss some of the possible solutions to fix Asus backlight not working. Hence, go through the below article carefully as well as implement them to solve your issue in a short span of time. So, let’s start.
What Causes Asus Keyboard Backlight not Working Issue?
Most of the times, the Asus keyboard backlight not working issue occurs just after upgrading the system to the newer version of Windows 10. When the Operating System gets renewed, there is a lot of programs that require updates along with it. Here are some of the reasons why the Asus keyboard backlight not working Windows 10.
- Improper Drivers: If you do not install the latest drivers for the keyboard, then you become unable to obtain all of the features that include the backlight of the Asus keyboard.
- A Hardware Problem: Sometimes the hardware of the manufacturer doesn’t sync with Window Operating System in a proper way. Refreshing as well as checking all the component of the hardware one by one can remove this issue.
- Installation file: The installation file that is capable of managing the hotkeys, including the backlight hotkey of the laptop, might not perform during the system installation.
- Error State: The system might be in the error state. It occurs a lot with the Windows and simply restarting the system can fix this issue.
Before going to the solutions part, you need to log in to the system with the administrator privilege. Moreover, you also need to make sure that you are connected with a stable internet connection.
How to fix Asus Laptop Keyboard? Amazing Tips and Tricks
Whatever the reasons behind the Asus keyboard backlight not working Windows 10 are, you need to fix this by following the steps given below.
Method 1: Power Cycling the Computer
The basic way to troubleshoot this issue is to go for the power cycling process. Power Cycling is the process of shutting down the system completely as well as reducing the static energy. This resets the irregular configurations forcefully as well as forces the system to initialize again each one of them. Before proceeding the steps you need to make sure that you have saved the work.
- At first, turn off the system by shutting it down. Then, remove the cord from the power supply.
- Now, remove the battery. Press the power button of your Asus laptop. Then, you need to hold it for at least 5-7 seconds.
- After that, you have to wait for at least 2 to 3 minutes. Then, plug in the power cable and turn on the system. Now, you have to check that the Asus keyboard backlight not working issue still persists or not.
Method 2: Run Device and Hardware Troubleshooter
Before going to reinstall the driver of the keyboard, you need to try to download it manually. Hence, run the devices as well as the hardware troubleshooter first. This program will start to check all the components of hardware one by one and locate if anything is wrong or out of place. This can help you to troubleshoot those drivers that are not installed properly or if there are any outdated programs.
Steps to Run the Device and Hardware Troubleshooter:
- At first, launch the Run command box by press the Windows key and R both at the same time. Type ‘control’ in the Run dialogue box. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command.
- Now, look at the upper-right side of the window. There you will see the View by option. Click on it. Choose the ‘Large Icons’ option from the list.
- Then, choose the ‘Troubleshooting’ option from the current window.
- Click on the option ‘View all’ from the left side of the screen. It will show the list of all the troubleshooting packs of the system.
- Now, you need to choose the ‘Hardware and Devices’ option from the list of available options and click on it.
- Next, you need to click on the Next button from the new window which prompts in the current window.
- Now, the Windows will start to scan the system for any problem with the hardware of the system. If it locates any issue, then it will notify you. When the windows prompt the confirmation, then you have to click on the OK button.
- After that, you have to Restart the system to save the changes.
Now, check whether the issue is still occurring or not. If you still face the issue, then go to the further solution.
Method 3: Using hcontrol.exe
Asus has a functional ‘hcontrol.exe’ that is used to manage each of the hotkeys on the Asus laptop as well as the functions correlated with them. Moreover, it is also capable to manage other programs like the backlight. If this method is not running automatically, then you need to try to run this manually and check if this makes any difference.
- At first, hit the Windows key and E to go to the following path ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK.’ If you already stored the program files at any other location of the system, then you need to go there.
- Now, you have to search the file ‘hcontrol.exe.’ When you find this file, then you have to click twice on it to run this.
- After that, you need to check if the Asus backlight not working issue solved or not. In case the issue still persists, then you need to move out to the next solution.
Method 4: Reinstall the Driver of the Keyboard Manually (with the help of the ATK)
If all the above methods fail and you are not able to access the Asus backlight, then you need to update the driver of the keyboard. Several users reported that they lost the driver of the keyboard after upgrading to Windows 10 Operating System. Hence, you need to reinstall the Asus Keyboard Driver. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Go to the official website of Asus to download the Keyboard Driver. Then, enter the specification and the details of the product.
- Now, you need to choose the Operating System. You will see a page where the Keyboard Driver will be available for the system. Find the drivers, such as Touchpad/Keyboard, Smart Gesture, Hotfix, and ATK from the current page.
- Download all the utility and save them to the desired location on the system. Then, you have to right-click on every file one by one and choose the option ‘Run as administrator.’
- After that, you have to restart the system to save the changes in a proper way. Now, install the newly downloaded drivers. Then, check if the problem is fixed.
On the Whole
In this post/article, we have already explained some easy hacks to solve the Asus keyboard backlight not working issue. We hope, it will help you to ease up your pain by putting an end to this problem. However, if you still face any kinds of trouble from an unnoticed corner, then you need to connect with a professional expert. You also can share your problem through the comment box given below.